Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Beauty and the Dark Side of my Linux Experience

Since I've been in middle school I have had to learn about computers and the applications that they've run. No fanboy-like rant intended, I've never actually taken pleasure out of that singular experience until I used the Linux operating system. For what I do, Linux does things faster, more intuitively, and for free. The Ubuntu Linux distribution is one of my main weapons against the hard times of the recession in my country. However even with my current knowledge of programming and my interest in Linux, I sometimes feel a sort of resistance coming from one of the system's hallmarks, the Linux community.

Many articles have been written about the Linux snob syndrome. Although I believe that the Open Source development process is one of the best paradigms for creating and maintaining software, I feel sort of alienated when I try to interact with some of its members. Sometimes when I ask a question I get the go to response of "please ask me something more specific". You're a computer programmer, if you understand recursive algorithms you can answer a general question about a bug or how an application works, I'm not asking about a kernel spec. This sort of sensibility also carried over to another ambition of mine, being a Linux developer.

Earlier this year I wanted to play an active part in being a developer for my current distribution Ubuntu. Although I knew I needed to learn C++, I thought I knew enough programming to begin learning more about Linux and actually getting real world coding experience by becoming a developer like someone who maintains and creates Linux applications (such as GIMP or Emacs), however when I looked at all the information it was truly an overwhelming experience and when I went into what is called and internet relay chat (irc) room I was only advised to go back to the links I had already visited, and that I needed a to have an exact definition of what I wanted to do. I can understand where the people in that irc came from, however I do not work for Canonical (the corporate sponsor of Ubuntu) and trying to synthesize all the different ends and outs (MOTUs, Upstream vs. downstream,  Launchpad, etc.) without some form of more concrete guidance seems counter intuitive to the Linux and open source mission. The path to becoming a developer seemed for me to be fuzzy and non-direct, and I didn't think I would get any more help from the community sources.

Ultimately I realized that development for me would be impractical because I only have one machine and I would have to buy another for the sole purpose of stability. In addition I also bought Mark Sobell's A Practical Guide to Linux which has helped me extensively understand Linux's elegance in its many flavors sans the aloofness. I do feel that most of the Linux community is not this way, especially when reading articles from sources such as OMG! Ubuntu and Nixie Pixel, however this gravitas does exist in places. I really do see a bright future for Linux and will be my primary operating system moving forward. But in some ways I wonder if I'll still be looking at the Tux from the outside in.

Have a peaceful day,
Justin Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment